[mythtv-users] Potential issues with Qt 5.7.1?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Wed Dec 21 15:33:30 UTC 2016

On 21/12/16 13:29, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:33 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie
> <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:

>>> Thanks! Good to know.
>>>
>>> I wasn't too happy when I noticed that Qt 5.7.1 was trying to pull in
>>> gtk3 which in turn pulls in dbus (which I do NOT use and want no part
>>> of). However I discovered that removing the gtk USE flag from
>>> dev-qt/qtgui prevents this...wheew.
>>>

>> Works just fine on Fedora 25.
>>
>> It's a shame you don't want DBus, that's how we now control the
>> screensaver, and it works nicely.
>>

>> Regards
>> Stuart
>>

> I upgraded yesterday and everything seems to be working great. I'm a
> little confused regarding screensaver. I'm using xscreensaver within
> fluxbox and that always seems to work fine. Is that using alternate
> methods when dbus isn't in use? I have almost as little desire to use
> dbus as I do for systemd frankly.

xscreensaver is the "legacy" way and does still work. I kept that on
purpose to not break existing setups. For new systems where that isn't
installed by default, the dbus method has the advantage that it
"just works" without the user having to install an additional
package.

As interfaces go, it's much cleaner than xscreensaver.

It fixes the issue where the screensaver would stay disabled if the
frontend crashed out without restoring the screensaver state.
With the DBus API, DBus knows the client (ie. the frontend) has gone
away and there for cleans up and restores the screensaver state.

But i'm not going to force you to use it :)

Cheers
Stuart