[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 16.04 and nvidia drivers

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Wed Dec 7 07:15:01 UTC 2016

Thanks Hika,

On Tuesday, December 6, 2016 17:43 CET, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
 Hoi Marius,

Tuesday, December 6, 2016, 10:48:03 AM, you wrote:

> Hi,

> ARound the time that 16.04 came out I did an upgrade of an older
> mythbuntu system with a GT610 video adapter and hit problems with
> the nvidia nv-control module, which wasn't allowing mythtv to match
> the monitor refresh rate to the frame rate of the content I was trying to play.

> I tried "everything" at the time, using all the available versions
> I could easily install using packages, scripted installers and
> vanilla nvidia installer, all with no success. I eventually gave up
> and lived with the problem, allowing the available drivers,
> packages, mythtv code to mature over time before trying again.

> I haven't had much time since to play with mythtv, but last night,
> for the hell of it, after being irritated again with the jumpy
> video, I decided to downgrade from the version that was installed (I
> can't remember now whether it was 358, 361 or 364) to 340, which was
> mentioned in another recent thread regarding a working driver for legacy cards.

> I rebooted and was surprised and pleased to see that the refresh
> rates were now being set correctly... Problem solved!

> However, as we have now moved on quite a bit since April and as
> there are newer driver versions available, does anyone know if
> something changed radically since 340 in the way Nvidia handles refresh rates?

> Can anyone say which driver version might now be considered optimal for the GT610 on a mythTV system?

> I'm a bit wary about breaking again whatever fixed itself
> yesterday, so don't want to just blindly cycle through the driver versions.

> BR.

> --Marius--

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Hmm, so the GT 610 isn't there as it's not considered lagacy hardware. All the same, the driver seems to work far better than the version I had installed before. At least when it comes to updating refresh rates.

Any other GT610 users out there:Please can you say which nvidia driver you're using with Myth?

 Thanks