[mythtv-users] Excessive disk usage in remotecache on Raspberry Pi

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:46:17 UTC 2016

On 6 December 2016 at 11:33, Tremayne, Steve
<steven.tremayne at honeywell.com> wrote:
> Going back to the original post:
>
>>> This directory has many files with names like 3707_20161124170000.ts.png.
>
> Isn't the conversation about ctime / atime / mtime / *time irrelevant? The filename already contains a timestamp...

Simple is usually better, and that is stat-agnostic.

> So, couldn't the logic be something simpler like "if (characters 6-13) of filename > (today + 30days) then delete"?

Perhaps when retrieving the list of recordings, a frontend
housekeeping job could automatically detect thumbnails with "dates in
filenames" earlier than the earliest recording still available in the
recording list?

That's an easy way (assuming I haven't missed something obvious) of
trimming old and unused thumbnails, but is of limited use in
situations where very old recordings are kept. The logic should be
very simple though.

Cheers,
Nick