[mythtv-users] Warning: Do not install nvidia-304.132 package

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 3 16:19:33 UTC 2016

On 12/03/2016 10:57 AM, F.B. Parker wrote:

> I have an old mythbuntu 12.04 system with an nvidia GT430 video card.
> It has been working great for years, but it has been affected by this
> recent vdpau problem.
>
> I tried those commands and I got this:
>
> ----8<----
> $ sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia*
> [sudo] password for mythuser:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package nvidia_driver_for_liveusb
> mythuser at mythbackend1:~$

You must have a file named nvidia_driver_for_liveusb in your directory,
so nvidia* expanded to that. Normally autoremove does not take a
parameter and only removes unused packages.

> $ sudo apt-get install nvidia-304=304.117-0ubuntu1
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Version '304.117-0ubuntu1' for 'nvidia-304' was not found
> mythuser at mythbackend1:~$

To find what package is available use
apt-cache search nvidia
To see what versions of a package are available use
apt-cache showpkg nvidia-304
When I run this on ubuntu 16.10 I only see one version listed:
304.132-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
Ubuntu have removed all other versions from the repo.