[mythtv-users] Updating to 0.28 and Mythbuntu 16.04.1

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sat Dec 3 12:02:28 UTC 2016

On 12/03/2016 03:37 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 17:47:58 +1100, you wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I tried a fresh install of mythbuntu 16.04.1 and had lots of issues so after
>> reading a Jim Abernathy's threads decided to make a clone of my production
>> system and update it.
>>

>> Currently on 0.27 Fixes and 14.04.5.
>>

>> Got the clone up and going but having trouble with the update to 0.28.
>>

>> I enter MCC (Mythbuntu control centre) and select 0.28 in the repositories.
>> It warns me I am going to use a development branch.
>>
>> Surely this is incorrect. So I hit the update repositories button then after
>> a short while I get an error, "URL Error : Failed to download new DB File"
>>

>> Any ideas.
>>

>> In Software & Updates Settings I have
>>
>> Canonical-supported free and aopen-source software (main)  and
>>
>> Community-maintained free and open-source software (universe) and
>>
>> Proprietry drivers for devices (restricted) and
>>
>> Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse) all selected.
>>

>> I have tried changing the source server to no avail!
>>

>> Andrew
> That sounds like there is a problem at the server end.  You can
> manually change the repositories.  What do you currently have in your
> /etc/apt/sources.list file and in your /etc/apt/sources.list.d
> directory files?  You need to change the deb lines that say 0.27 to
> 0.28.  You probably have a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d called
> mythbuntu-0_27-trusty.list which should have something like this in
> it:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.27/ubuntu trusty main
> # deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/0.27/ubuntu trusty main
>
> If so, change the 0.27 in both lines to 0.28 and rename the file to
> mythbuntu-0_28-trusty.list.  But MCC has had some bugs in how it has
> done this in the past, so you need to check the /etc/apt/sources.list
> and all the other /etc/apt/sources.list.d files to make sure they do
> not have any other MythTV stuff in them that should not be there. Mine
> were dreadfully messed up when I came to do the 0.27 to 0.28 upgrade,
> so I had to spend some time deleting all the old stuff and fixing
> where things were.
>
> Once you have the apt files sorted, you need to do "apt-get update"
> and "apt-get upgrade"  (or maybe "apt-get dist-upgrade").
Since I did the instructions you referred to, I looked into my fresh
install to see what I had. Since I started with a fresh install, there
was no mention of 0.27 anywhere and my sources.list.d had the following
files:

mythbuntu-ubuntu-0_28-xenial.list
mythbuntu-ubuntu-0_28-xenial.list.save
mythbuntu-ubuntu-testing-xenial.list
mythbuntu-ubuntu-testing-xenial.list.save
stebbins-ubuntu-handbrake-releases-xenial.list

Since I added Handbrake it's there as well.

Jim A