[mythtv-users] restoring database after reinstall??

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Fri Dec 2 11:34:45 UTC 2016

On 12/01/2016 12:45 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Michael,
>
> Wednesday, November 30, 2016, 6:15:24 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2016 11:09 AM, Jim Abernathy wrote:
>>> So I need to confirm a process for restoring my database after an os version upgrade.
>>>
>>> I’m running mythvbuntu 14.04 and mythtv 0.28 latest patches.
>>> My system has a boot drive and 2 drives for recorded TV to decrease the bottleneck during multiple simultaneous recordings.
>>>
>>> I’m thinking that the process would be.
>>>
>>> 1. backup database and save the backup on my NAS.
>>> 2. install  mythbuntu 16.04/mythtv 0.28 and fix all the systemd stuff.
>>> 3. make sure it’s working after a reboot and that TV and recordings will work.
>>> 4. enable my original recorded TV drives in /etc/fstab.
>>> 5. restore my database.
>>>
>>> This seems to work in my mind. What am I missing??
>> You restore the database into an empty database, so as long as "make
>> sure it’s working after a reboot and that TV and recordings will work"
>> does not involve starting any MythTV programs (mythtv-setup,
>> mythbackend, mythfrontend), this would be the right procedure.  If you
>> plan to start MythTV programs to test your TV/recordings, then you would
>> have to configure the MythTV program (from scratch--as you'll have a
>> schema with no configuration) and then will have to restore with the
>> --drop_database --create_database argument, which will undo any
>> configuration you've done (so the testing would have wasted all that
>> configuration time).
>> So, I'd say the steps are:
>> 1. backup database and save the backup on my NAS.
>> 2. install mythbuntu 16.04/mythtv 0.28 and fix all the systemd stuff.
>> 3. ensure the host name, as returned by hostname command, is identical
>> to that returned on the old system--if it was short before, it should be
>> short now; or if it had a domain before, it should have one now--and/or
>> specify a LocalHostName override in the ~/.mythtv/config.xml file with
>> the exact hostname (or override value) used on the previous system
>> 4. ensure that no MythTV programs are running (no mythtv-setup, no
>> mythbackend, no mythfrontend) and if they are, shut them down and ensure
>> they don't get automatically restarted
>> 5. restore the database (
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Replacing_an_existing_database
>> )
>> 6. start mythtv-setup and verify options, then start mythbackend, then
>> mythfrontend and test and configure as necessary
>> FWIW, you'll want to use the --drop_database --create_database
>> arguments, as shown in the link above, when restoring to remove any
>> database/tables that already exists/that was put in place by your
>> package manager.  Even if there is none, it won't hurt to use those
>> arguments.
>> This approach just involves using MythTV to test your capture devices,
>> but you can do some outside-of-MythTV testing before the restore, if you
>> have and know the tools to do so.  Sometimes when doing an upgrade of
>> the OS/kernel/drivers, you will need to delete and re-configure capture
>> devices in MythTV, but there's no harm in testing with MythTV using the
>> old configuration and, if it doesn't work, deleting and reconfiguring
>> the card(s).
>> Mike
> As it concerns a fresh install there is the UID issue. So either
> create the mythtv user before installing mythtv with the same UID as
> on the old install or change ownership on your old recordings to the
> new UID.
I've had to deal with the UID for mythtv user before, so I can do that.

Today is the day I'm doing the reinstall of mythbuntu 16.04.1 after
saving the database.

Hope to put all this good advice to test this morning :-)

Jim A