[mythtv-users] Have the DeckLink Mini Recorder HDMI capture cards been considered?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:57:59 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> .. Forgot about HDCP. From what a quick search brings up, it seems all
> of Dish's content is flagged, possibly even my local PBS channel. Oh well.

For HDCP, it (mostly) does not matter if the content is
flagged, since the protected path negotiation occurs
at "connect" time, and the status continues thereafter
for all future delivered content.  Because any tuned
content might require a protected path many STBs
simply do not send any content out a non-protected
HDMI port [some might send a "connect me to a
protected path TV" static image].  One could have
imagined an implementation that forces a HDMI
disconnect and reconnect at every channel switch
to deal with the protected content path requirements,
but that is not the implementation chosen (even
ignoring the fact that it would make channel changes
even slower)).