[mythtv-users] Mythtv theme question...

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Aug 31 14:18:43 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a Mythtv theme which plays back wide-screen videos on an older
> standard computer monitor while displaying user defined information (for
> instance weather) at the bottom unused screen space?
>
> I think my answer will be: "Playing back the video is not part of the
> mythtv theme responsibilities."  But I thought I'd ask just in case.

I believe themes do have a "background" image that they put on the screen
that the video is layered over.  It usually says "please wait" or has some
image to that effect.

I would suspect that you could have an external script that updates this
image periodically, so you could have information at the bottom of the
screen.  I am not sure it would update on the fly, maybe just when you
start playback.

I suspect that you could use the theme engine to overlay a information
panel, but I have never seen it done.