[mythtv-users] Debian Packaging for headless machine

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Aug 30 17:48:22 UTC 2016

On 30/08/16 17:23, Will Marler wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I followed the instructions on the wiki
> <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian> and build the
> Debian packages from source. I set up a local repository, and can install
> 'mythtv-backend-master' and other packages as expected.
>
> But the dependencies are crazy <http://pastebin.com/ViytwCRp>! I had been
> using the testing packages from deb-multimedia, so I would not have
> expected to need another 110 packages and 500MB of space.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Debian packaging that can help me
> build a functional "mythtv-backend-master-light" package that is intended
> for headless systems?

I'm not sure why you are building from source. Probably because that page says you have to, but it
is way out of date.

Just install a clean Debian system and then add the deb-multimedia repository to your sources.list
file. Then "apt-get mythtv-backend" etc. and you are good to go!

I have been using Debian like this for a number of years now. You will have to pay attention to some
of the usual installation gotchas but nothing you wouldn't find on any other distribution.

--

Mike Perkins