[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu change from MySQL to MariaDB?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 25 14:16:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 05:33:28 -0400, you wrote:

>On 08/24/2016 10:41 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> I'm not smart enough to know MySQL from MariaDB.  I just downloaded
>>> mythbuntu from the download site, burn it to a CDROM or USB key and
>>> install it.  The database always takes care of itself.  I only rebuild
>>> when I have all my recordings archived to a NAS and my database is
>>> basically empty.  I rebuild it before the fall TV season starts.  So now
>>> I'm committed to Mythbuntu 14.04.4 until next year because of issues I'm
>>> having with 16.04.  I can get 16.04 working except for 2 issues that are
>>> not DB related.  Just related to my TV and A/V receiver.  There is also
>>> a bug with mythtranscode that has not been fixed so I'm staying on
>>> mythtv 0.27
>>>
>>> So even though I've tested a lot on 0.28, and 16.04, I still have no
>>> idea why you are worried about MySQL vs. MariaDB.  I still use mysql
>>> commands on 16.04.  So I'm unaware of any changes in that area.
>>>
>>> I have to mottoes to live by.
>>> 1.  if it ain't broke don't fix it and
>>> 2.  You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>> I am converting to using MariaDB in 16.04 due to MySQL changing from
>> using the readline library to editline.  Editline does not work for me
>> in bringing back SQL commands from history, which I find extremely
>> aggravating since readline works very well and I use the history all
>> the time.  Apparently Oracle do not want readline's GPL or LGPL
>> licensing as part of MySQL, so they switched to editline because its
>> licensing is more what they want.  I find that a problem also, as it
>> may indicate that Oracle are trying to make MySQL proprietary somehow
>> instead of freeware.
>>
>> MariaDB is extremely compatible with MySQL and it is actually hard to
>> tell which one is installed without looking hard.  The MariaDB
>> packages directly replace the MySQL ones (using the same executable
>> names) and provide all the same commands and services.  The only
>> difference that I found that I had to deal with was that MariaDB has
>> some config files that belong to it only and are separate from the
>> normal MySQL config files.  Doing that, combined with how the MythTV
>> packages do their MySQL config and how I had overridden some default
>> settings in the MythTV MySQL config did not work with MariaDB as the
>> config files ended up being loaded in a different order, so my
>> overrides were not being loaded last.  That resulted in the IP address
>> for accessing the database not being set to my MythTV box's external
>> IP address and it was defaulting to localhost.  It was easy enough to
>> fix once I worked out what was happening.
>> ___
>
>So If you do a standard Mythbuntu 16.04 install from CDROM, which
>database are you using?
>
>MCC still has a MySQL section
>
>Jim A

The default install uses MySQL.  You have to install MariaDB yourself
after installing Ubuntu.  That will uninstall MySQL and install
MariaDB in place of it.  MCC should not be able to tell the difference
- MariaDB is almost indistinguishable from MySQL to any program that
is using a MySQL database.