[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 14.04 or 16.04?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Sun Aug 21 14:05:46 UTC 2016

> On Aug 20, 2016, at 12:36 PM, John Veness <John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk> wrote:
>

> On August 20, 2016 5:00:32 PM GMT+01:00, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:

>> <John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk

>> 0.28 works on it fine. Should I stick with it???

>> in my house or through a A/V receiver on any computer.  The screen goes
>> blank for 5-10 seconds depending on what is on the screen.  There is
>> also video noise; random blank horizontal lines scattered on the
>> display.

>> Ubuntu 14.04.

>> can't use 16.04 until this issue is fixed.  I've tried posting the
>> graphic issue on the Ubuntu forum with no luck yet.

>> need to do something in a couple of years' time.

>> 16.04, though. You can install the 16.04 kernel in 14.04
>> (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
>> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack>) and you could try
>> that to see if the same issue occurs, and easily roll back if it does.
>> Alternatively it could be a difference in the graphics drivers between
>> the two versions, which you could investigate.
>>>>

>>> I would like to solve this with 16.04 and may try your suggestion
>> about trying the 16.04 kernel in 14.04.  I can run test, but I’m not
>> the guy to dig too deep on GFX issues.
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> I’ve found out that when you get to Mythbuntu 14.04.5 you have the same
>> issues as 16.04.  I did a fresh install of Mythbuntu 14.04.5 and have
>> the same blanking issues as in 16.04.  Seems Ubuntu brought the xorg
>> and kernel in line with the versions on 16.04 and that’s where the
>> problem is, I bet.
>>
>> Jim A
>
> Fresh installs of Ubuntu 14.04.5 (but not upgrades) use the "LTSEnablementStack" by default, i.e. the same kernel as 16.04. So that probably points to the problem. Not sure what to suggest to fix it.

To better understand this. I did a new fresh install of Mythbuntu 14.04.4 and then did the updates and dist-updates until It wanted no more updates.

I notices the following when I login via terminal session:
Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.2.0-42-generic x86_64)

 * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

WARNING: Security updates for your current Hardware Enablement
Stack ended on 2016-08-04:
 * http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1404_HWE_EOL

There is a graphics stack installed on this system. An upgrade to a
configuration supported for the full lifetime of the LTS will become
available on 2016-07-21 and can be installed by running 'update-manager'
in the Dash.

Last login: Sun Aug 21 09:12:32 2016 from jamess-mbp-2.domain
jim at mythbuntu:~$ uname -rm
4.2.0-42-generic x86_64

It’s also running X.Org X Server 1.17.2

So I assume the kernel and X will remain at the level I need unless I choose the update mentioned above.

Jim A