[mythtv-users] OT Any interest in HDMI --> IP TV x264 encoder boxes?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Aug 16 01:01:42 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:40:01 AM Another Sillyname wrote:
> @Gary
>
> Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but making statements
> suggesting embargoed at import without supportable facts is
> irresponsible.
>
> Or are you suggesting that Amazon are breaking the law?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/TBS%C2%AE2216-Encoder-Broadcast-Teaching-Conference/dp/B01AU7RHRQ
>
> Had you asked simply for it to be moved off the list I'd have acceded
> and politely, in future please don't make implied threats such as
> members email addresses are going to be captured and the copyright
> swat teams are likely to be kicking in their front doors, it's
> unbecoming.
>
> I'll set up an off list email address tomorrow and allow people that
> want to pursue this to do so there.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony

Well, but... you amplified his reasonable sentiment, a sentiment that has appeared more than many times in the decade that I've been on this list, into unnecessary jackboot hyperbole. Maybe provoked a little, I'll grant you that.

But, I was surprised your thread went as long as it did without any comment, because these devices do circumvent recognized laws/agreements even if you don't like them, and advertising them in any way on this list is just on the wrong side of a thin line. I believe there's wording on the Wiki or somewhere to this effect. There's a sentence in the List_etiquette part of the wiki.

There's no moderator on this list to say "Shhh... go over there" so Gary finally said it, having some non-trivial credibility here in words and deeds, at least with me.

And maybe, just maybe, he didn't read it until today because he was on a holiday - it's that time of year around these North American parts. Or any number of other reasonable reasons.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca