[mythtv-users] Grub problem - or I have a special place in my version of hell reserved for Seagate

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 20:13:12 UTC 2016

Well I solved it tonight, but I bet no-one will guess what the problem was.

Off list I was pointed to http://www.supergrubdisk.org (thanks Nate).
Great little tool I'd never heard of, takes the hard work out of booting a system. Picked up my system, booted it just fine. Did an update-grub and grub-install /dev/sda. Rebooted to get ... just that darn blinking cursor taunting me again.

Then I had that "oh you plonker" moment and remembered an important "feature" of this system (HP Microserver). Once I changed it to boot off the right disk, it booted up just fine. Doesn't get me any files back off that darned Seagate drive, but the system is back.

Never overlook the simple things !