[mythtv-users] Right then....how to tell recording to start xxx minutes in rather then at beginning?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Wed Aug 3 21:32:53 UTC 2016

On 03/08/16 20:09, Another Sillyname wrote:
> The BBC are now showing the Olympics in a glorious 8 channel Red
> Button festival....I won't sleep for a month!!!!
>
> However I'll explain for non UK based users.
>
> The BBC Red Button service in effect turns digital channels on and off
> as required so if a certain Olympics event is due to start at say
> 14:00 the programming will start at say 13:45 and the channel will go
> live literally maybe a minute before the programming starts.
>
> In SD this hasn't usually created a problem.
>
> However in HD when you try to playback the recording has started
> early.....the HD decoder tries to play the file and borks (as the
> channel probably hasn't 'turned on' when the recording started), if
> you play the file with VLC it's fine...so it's there.
>
> I suspect that myth is looking for video info at the start of playback
> to decide what decode mode it needs to go into and when there isn't
> any it segfaults.
>
> So how can I tell myth to start playback say 4 minutes into a recording?
>
> I can't change the recording rules...there's far far to many
> recordings to want to mess around with (unless I can setup a rule such
> as "If this recording is on 'BBC RB HD' then start recording 5 minutes
> later then normal).
>
> Thanks

I'm not sure I recognise the problem - but I normally use SD DVB-T, on
which the RB services appear as normal EIT-schedulable channels 600 (RB
0) and 601 (RB 1), usually at 544x576 resolution.   There's also 200
(Red Button), for which I don't see EIT data.  All these are in the BBC
SD mux.

I don't see RB channels listed in the DVB-T2 HD mux.  mythffprobe on BBC
One HD currently shows two dsmcc_b data streams with unsupported codecs,
using current *buntu ppa/trusty

...but no doubt things are different via HD DVB-S