[mythtv-users] Grub problem - or I have a special place in my version of hell reserved for Seagate

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 19:33:50 UTC 2016

Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

> When you boot from raid you must copy your boot record to both disks.

Yes, and I'm sure I've done that.

AIUI with md raid1 and metadata format 0.9, either member of the disk can be read as the filesystem in it's own right - that and Grub is supposed to understand raid now. I've tested in the past doing :
grub-install /dev/sda
grub-install /dev/sdb
which should install the bootloader on both disks. update-grub should take care of putting the magic incantations (eg insmod raid) into the grub config.
Something I've definitely tested that in the past - one server I set up at work had 5 members in the raid1 boot volume, just because I had 5 disks and it didn't make sense not to just put them all in the array.

It's really annoying as many times I've cloned a system by partitioning the disk, making the filesystems, copying all the files, mounting things like /sys, /proc and /dev in the new root, chroot, and grub-update then grub-install.
This one is resisting all my attempts to boot it.

I have to admit my post was partly as I just had to let out my frustration somewhere !

I think the next step will be to copy the boot and root filesystems to raw partitions on a spare disk, then get that booting, and then try to sort things out from there. It won't be tonight as I got home to find no carpet in the bathroom as one of the taps sprung a leak at the connector.
So I've just spent the last hour or so on my back sorting things out properly. TBH it needed doing as the taps were fitted with plastic flange nuts and one had split - as they do being completely carp - leaving the tap loose and disturbing the joint with the twisting. So I'd already got some new brass nuts and washers etc.