[mythtv-users] Problem with duplicate checking - new episode will not record

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 3 02:01:28 UTC 2016

On 8/1/2016 6:21 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2016 19:45:25 +1000, you wrote:
>
>> Also check in oldrecorded also for any duplicates, it may differ to what is
>> in recorded.
>>
> Thank you - that was it.  It looks like my mother recorded, watched
> and deleted episode 2 last year.  She probably did a record once
> recording rule for that episode by mistake instead of a record all, as
> she does that occasionally.  So this year, now the series is being
> repeated, and she has managed to make a record all rule.  But episode
> 2 is in oldrecorded, so it will not record it again.
>
> I thought this was a new series, so I when I searched the list of
> previous recordings, I stopped at the first one (episode 1 this year)
> and did not search for anything older.  Using SQL to search
> oldrecorded showed the older recording immediately.

Yep, you can do it the hard way and dig around the database and ask
questions on the list until you understand enough of the internal data
format and internal data usage to figure out what's going on.

Alternatively, you can just go to the Upcoming Recordings screen in
mythfrontend, then find the episode it says it won't record and see why
it says it won't--something to the effect of "This episode was already
recorded", which indicates you should go to the Previously Recorded
screen in mythfrontend and find the episode (which will also say when it
was recorded and will be next to all the other episodes for that series)
and delete any/all episodes from the history you would like to re-record.

If you prefer digging through the database, feel free to teach your mom
SQL and MythTV's internal data formats and usage so she can help herself
next time.

Yes, I'm being very grumpy in this message and the grumpiness isn't
directed at the OP, but is instead due to the fact that all the
directly rather than using the existing tools inside mythfrontend that
are meant to actually track down issues like this--both before and after
recordings air (i.e. you can look at Previously Recorded for up to 10
days after a missed recording to see why it didn't record).  It's just
frustrating that the go-to method of solving any issue these days seems
to be digging through the database and attempting to interpret raw data
correctly rather than just reading what MythTV is more than willing to
tell you.

Mike