[mythtv-users] raspberry pi 3 as backend server

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 16:57:38 UTC 2016

On 04/29/2016 10:14 AM, jacek burghardt wrote:
> I wonder if anyone had setup raspberry pi 3 as mythbackend? I bet
> performance will be improved once we get 64bit kernel. I would like to
> use mythtv with hd home run.
> 4tb portable hard drives are cheap now. Would Bannana pi m3 better ?
I assume you are planning to attach an external hard drive.
Some concerns I have -
1. The ethernet connection is only 100 Mb/s. If you are recording three
channels and watching one or two that will likely be overwhelmed.
2. The USB 2 is also a limited speed, and I believe that the ethernet
also takes away from the 480 Mb/s available. The USB may also be
overwhelmed, because everything being recorded or watched must also go
over that pipeline, to the disk drive and also to and from the network.
3. MySQL Database may not perform well and may take a lot of main memory.

If you do attempt it, make sure to put your root filesystem on the hard
drive as well, in a separate partition from the video storage. It may be
feasible if you are only supporting one tuner and one frontend.

I have doubts about the 64 bit kernel, unless they expand the main
memory. Is there any advantage to having a 64bit kernel if you only have
1 GB of main memory?