[mythtv-users] MythTV without dbus?

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Thu Apr 28 13:41:26 UTC 2016

On 27/04/16 14:49, Tom Dexter wrote:
> I'm running MythTV 0.27.6 under Gentoo. The Gentoo ebuild has always
> required QtDBus (dev-qt/qtdbus). As a result I've always ended up with
> dbus installed, however I've never even started the dbus service.
>
> What actually got me looking at this was the fact that I recently
> tried removing the udisks requirement (recently added to the Gentoo
> ebuild when DVD support was in use), and found that DVD playback
> worked perfectly fine. I think that's also related to dbus in that (I
> think) it only affects use of the UDisks DBus service(?) that I don't
> use.
>
> Looking at the configure script, it appears to check for QtDBus
> support but doesn't in fact mandate it. Is QtDBus a hard requirement
> for MythTV?

DBus is used for 2 things that I am aware of

- Media Monitor uses the UDisks service to monitor for media changes,
  however most distros have moved to UDisks2, and so effectively this
  doesn't get used.

- Frontend screensaver. The frontend can now control the screensaver
  via dbus, this seems to be essential to actually getting the screen
  saver to disable when using gnome. When using other window managers
  that still support the other methods, you can again avoid the dbus
  requirement.

Regards
Stuart Auchterlonie