[mythtv-users] HVR-2250 Tuner Not Available

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 22:45:15 UTC 2016

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Barry Martin <barry3martin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think I may have found an installation error but not sure how to correct
> it.
>
> I was told the HVR-2250 tuner was installed on the/at the  Frontend which
> is why the Backend isn't able to use it (error is "tuner is not
> available".   The HVR-1600 card is installed so the Backend can see and use
> it.   When I'm in MCC I don't see the HVR-1600 card as being installed ==>
> allows me to install.  When I did that the Frontend saw a usable 1600 (so
> at Backend) and a not available 1600 (so at Frontend).  Both 1600's at
> adapter0/frontend0.    (Everyone confused?!)  For some reason both halves
> of the HVR-2250 card are being installed at the Frontend.
>
> Found something which sort of explains things.  Using "System Profiler and
> Benchmark" (I installed it) under Kernel Modules I found a possible
> explanation of why things are wrong:
>
>     Name:    tda18271
>
>     Name:    s5h1411
>
> My guess is for whatever reason the Samsung driver was installed to the
> dvb-frontends sub-directory.  The 'ko' thing is not in the tuners sub-dir.
> Should be easy enough to copy the file from dvb-frontends to tuners, but I
> have no idea how to update/correct the path.
>

> The original installation used
>         wget
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/hvr22xx/firmwares/4019072/NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw
>         sudo cp -p NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw /lib/firmware
> No idea about what happened after that to place files.

Sorry to spoil your theory, but those drivers are in the correct
directories. You'll just break it if you move them. The card has a few
chips that control different functions on its board (a tuner and a
demodulator, in this case). So the "saa7164" driver (which is in the
drivers/media/pci directory) pulls in those other two to support the other
chips. The "dvb-frontends" directory has nothing to do with MythTV or the
MythTV frontend. It's just the standard directory that media driver authors
install their demodulator drivers to.