[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Mon Apr 25 22:41:34 UTC 2016

On Monday, April 25, 2016 05:44:15 PM R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 04/24/2016 01:48 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > On Saturday, April 23, 2016 07:05:09 PM R. G. Newbury wrote:
> >
> >  >

> >  > The dev attitude is like the devs at Fedora and Ubuntu who will not let
> >
> >  > you log in as root "because you shouldn't do that"... I know that, but
> >
> >  > when I am setting up a brand new install it is damn convenient to be
> >
> >  > able to re-boot and log in as root. I do NOT need to told that I can't
> >
> >  > DO that, because I shouldn't do that so we won't let you.
> >
> > Am I missing something? I've used RedHat since 5.2 in the mid-1990s and
> > RHEL and Fedora and CentOS in the last decade on a couple dozen
> > desktops, laptops, and servers, and I've never been denied logging in as
> > root at any point after I pull out the install CD/DVD.
> >
> > Which Fedora have you been using?
>
> IIRC it was about Fedora 19 or 20 when it started to be 'abnormal' to be
> able to log in as root. The fix was some editing in /etc/pam.d/kdm
> dealing with root.
>
> I don't remember exactly what I did in F21. The pam.d setup changed
> extensively.
>
> In F23 I had to change the minimum UID in Sytem Settings ->
> Startup/Shutdown -> Login (SDDM) to 0 from 1000.
>
> (Which made booting rather weird for a few reboots, as all 'users' were
> then shown in the login splash screen... eventually that stopped.
>
> It wasn't particularly difficult, but it was treated as a State Secret.

Ah, by 'login' you mean 'login using the GUI'. I only do that as non-root and then su or sudo accordingly after. Does this work:

"You can login as root directly from the login screen by clicking on the "*Not listed?*" option and enter username as root and password will be the root password."

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca