[mythtv-users] External storage spin up time - mythfrontend sometimes times out

Dave Day david.scott.day at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:40:40 UTC 2016

Hello all,

After using cast aside hardware for my backend/frontends for about 8 years,
I have switched to the ECS Liva for both my backend and frontends this
weekend.

Of course, the ECS Liva (Bay Trail) backend requires a powered USB hub
and USB connected storage.  I happened to have a 1 TB Toshiba drive with
USB to get me started and I am pleased so far except that sometimes
the Toshiba spins down and a request from one of my frontends for
a program times out while waiting for the storage to spin up.

This Toshiba is fairly old, definitely USB 2.0, etc.

My question is this:  Do modern USB drives spin up quickly enough
so I won't have to worry about it, or do I need to tell these drives
not to spin down (if that is possible)?

Except for this one issue, the ECS Liva backend seems to be adequate enough
and I even have a front end on it as it is in my home office and I occasionally
watch something in there and it has been quite serviceable even using
"High Quality".

I will appreciate you help/advice on this issue.

Dave