[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:48:34 UTC 2016

On 23 April 2016 at 07:58, William Jacoby <bonelifer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/22/2016 10:57 AM, Blammo wrote:
>
>> .... "How do I delete 'deleted' recordings to free up disk space?"
>>

> I found this script some time ago and can't find where now. Possibly on
> the list. It will flush all recordings in the "Deleted" group. Remember,
> everything in the "Deleted" group will be deleted.  It only has two command
> line arguments, --help and --force. Help just displays some useful
> information about the force argument, which can be used to delete metadata
> from the DB, even if the video file doesn't exist.  If ran without a
> command line argument, it will just do it's business of deleting the files.

The setting you need has been mentioned several times already on this list.

No need for custom scripts or any other extras.

Just set the "Time to keep deleted recordings (days)" option in
Mythfrontend Setup menu, under Video, then General. Set this to a small
positive number of days, and recordings will be deleted after that number
of days (I set it to 2, and recordings are kept for 2 days after I delete
them, to save me from an occasional "oops" moment). Set it to zero and
recordings will be deleted pretty much instantaneously (within maybe half
an hour or less).

This all assumes that you have actually told MythTV to delete the
recording, not just marked it as Watched or some such.