[mythtv-users] Disk Space / not-deleting-recordings

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Apr 22 21:19:46 UTC 2016

On Friday, April 22, 2016 05:01:10 PM R. G. Newbury wrote:
> On 04/22/2016 01:21 AM, Blammo wrote:
> >
> > So I went digging into mysql, and I may have stumbled across the answer:
> >
> > mysql> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM recorded where recgroup not like "Deleted";
> > +----------+
> > | COUNT(1) |
> > +----------+
> > |     1845 |
> > +----------+
> > 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
> >
> > mysql> SELECT COUNT(1) FROM recorded where recgroup like "Deleted";
> > +----------+
> > | COUNT(1) |
> > +----------+
> > |     1028 |
> > +----------+
> > 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
> >

> > What now?
>
> You have seen the stupid and it burns. You actually have no control over
> the recordings on the box, due to some really-off-the-wall-decisions by
> some of the devs.
>
> Myth does not actually delete things until it *has* to when it needs the
> space. Even if you go into System status and spend eons pushing 'delete'
> now, it does not.

That's not true - Deleted recordings are deleted when they are older than the global setting for keeping deleted recordings, which can be 0 and thus immediate, OR when space is required to maintain the global "space Myth won't use" setting for a disk.

> The only way to actually delete the programs, and actually really see
> what it in use on the disk, is to do it yourself.

No, and someone earlier in this thread said how: use the "Deleted" group selector in the frontend and delete them from that list. OR set the global "keep this much of the disk free" setting to give you some headroom.

> I know the reasoning of the devs and I think it misguided. It ONLY works
> where the box is dedicated to being a mythbox, and even then it is
> misleading and bothersome, to those of us who like to see what the real
> situation is.

My Myth box is multi-use and I have a 2-day "keep after deleted" setting and it's not so difficult. Plus, the frontend and MythWeb Status pages break out the "waiting to expire" space in its report on disk space.

What feature, apart from Myth having ESP to know that a recording that's marked Watched versus Deleted should be deleted, is missing?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca