[mythtv-users] One remote frontend can access Artwork, the other can't.

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 20:19:24 UTC 2016

Hoi Damian,

Sunday, April 17, 2016, 10:09:36 PM, you wrote:

> On 17/04/2016 21:03, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Damian,
>>
>> Sunday, April 17, 2016, 9:51:04 PM, you wrote:

>>> I agree. Even though I've been using MythTV for year now, I've learned
>>> loads from formatting my 3 machines and starting from scratch with them.
>>> The reason for that was that my server was playing up in a couple of
>>> different ways (outside of Myth). I hadn't been able to get to the
>>> bottom of it in 6 months of on and off trying. Starting from scratch
>>> sorted it all out.
>>
>>> The 2 frontends do little more than act as frontends, so I thought that
>>> I'd refresh them too. When one of them wasn't working right, and the
>>> reason wasn't apparent, I thought I'd just wipe it and start again,

>>> Tick.
>>> Both frontends can access it too. I have no problems playing content.
>>> Is this the line that was blank in the frontend? The top line in "Setup
>>   >> Media Settings > Video Settings > General Settings"? It was blank in
>>> both of my frontends. Should I make it /home/"FE-user"/Videos, even
>>> though that location isn't used at all?
>>> No, I don't think there's a problem there.
>>> Ah, maybe this is it?
>>> The content of this file in both frontends is almost identical:
>>
>>> <Configuration>
>>> <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
>>>     <Database>
>>>       <PingHost>1</PingHost>
>>>       <Host>192.168.0.2</Host>
>>>       <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
>>>       <Password>xxCorrectPasswordxx</Password>
>>>       <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
>>>       <Port>3306</Port>
>>>     </Database>
>>>     <WakeOnLAN>
>>>       <Enabled>0</Enabled>
>>>       <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
>>>       <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
>>>       <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
>>>     </WakeOnLAN>
>>>     <UPnP>
>>>       <UDN>
>>> <MediaRenderer>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</MediaRenderer>
>>>       </UDN>
>>>     </UPnP>
>>> </Configuration>
>>
>>> The 'MediaRenderer' number is different on both. However, LocalHostName
>>> is the same in both. It just says "my-unique-identifier-goes-here".
>>
>>> I've never changed this before. Do I have to manually put something
>>> unique in here?
>>
>>> If so, do I then need to reconfigure something on the backend?
>>
>>> Thanks for helping HP-mini,
>>> Damian
>>
>> If set that way, or better said not set that way, it will use the
>> hostname. This value is used to link all settings in the database to
>> this machine and I think that setting it through configure in the
>> frontend sets this value. If you change it even slightly the
>> connection to the settings in the database is lost and it falls back
>> to the defaults.

> Thanks for the quick reply Hika.

> [...]

It is for accessing the settings in the database. Your issue however
does not seem to be there. However you can try starting the frontend
with a different hostname and see if the artwork problem persists. If
so you know for sure it is not related to the settings in the
database.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven