[mythtv-users] One remote frontend can access Artwork, the other can't.

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 19:51:04 UTC 2016

On 17/04/2016 20:02, HP-mini wrote:
> On Sun, 2016-04-17 at 14:21 +0100, Damian wrote:

>>> Life's too short for this one :-)
>>>
>>> I've already spent more time on it than it would take me to wipe the
>>> frontend and start again from scratch. I think I'll do that and hope
>>> that whatever screwed up doesn't go wrong again.
>>>
>>> Thanks for trying everyone,
>>> Damian
>> It gets stranger ...
>>
>> I just did a completely clean install of Xubuntu 15.10 on the frontend
>> that I was having problems with.
>>
>> Added Mythbuntu. And, guess what. Everything is EXACTLY the same as it
>> 'last' was. Even down to those "Setup > Media Settings > Video Settings
>>   > General Settings" lines all being blank, rather than the default ones
>> (what were 'initially' line the other frontend).
>>
>> As first, I thought that I couldn't have wiped the OS, but I definitely
>> did. Clean OS. Clean Mythbuntu on top. This means than those settings
>> are stored in the backend somewhere.
>>
>> So, I'm also guessing that whatever is causing the problem is also in
>> the backend?
>>
>> It's not much of a problem any more, so I guess I'll just leave things
>> as they are. I just don't understand ..
>> a) Why aren't the the 'folder.jpg' images in the directories on the
>> backend being used for the folder art (as they are on the other
>> backends) and
>> b) Why did I need to empty those "Setup > Media Settings > Video
>> Settings > General Settings" lines when the other frontends work fine
>> with them.
>> c) Do these issues point to a bigger problem that I don't understand?
>>
>> Any clues? Please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Damian
> Less time to wipe & reinstall.. maybe. But then you don't ever find root
> cause.
I agree. Even though I've been using MythTV for year now, I've learned
loads from formatting my 3 machines and starting from scratch with them.
The reason for that was that my server was playing up in a couple of
different ways (outside of Myth). I hadn't been able to get to the
bottom of it in 6 months of on and off trying. Starting from scratch
sorted it all out.

The 2 frontends do little more than act as frontends, so I thought that
I'd refresh them too. When one of them wasn't working right, and the
reason wasn't apparent, I thought I'd just wipe it and start again,

> The mythtv-system-wide video collection should be in a storage group
> that the BE can access.
Tick.
Both frontends can access it too. I have no problems playing content.
> The FE mythvideo setup path should not overlap the storage group, just
> point mythvideo at /home/"FE-user"/Videos.
Is this the line that was blank in the frontend? The top line in "Setup
 > Media Settings > Video Settings > General Settings"? It was blank in
both of my frontends. Should I make it /home/"FE-user"/Videos, even
though that location isn't used at all?
> But make sure there are no symlinks or samba/nfs shares in that location
> linking to any storage group.
No, I don't think there's a problem there.
> Do both your FEs have unique hostnames
> (/home/"FE-user"/.mythtv/config.xml) ?
> FE settings are stored in the dB using hostname.
Ah, maybe this is it?
The content of this file in both frontends is almost identical:

<Configuration>
<LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
   <Database>
     <PingHost>1</PingHost>
     <Host>192.168.0.2</Host>
     <UserName>mythtv</UserName>
     <Password>xxCorrectPasswordxx</Password>
     <DatabaseName>mythconverg</DatabaseName>
     <Port>3306</Port>
   </Database>
   <WakeOnLAN>
     <Enabled>0</Enabled>
     <SQLReconnectWaitTime>0</SQLReconnectWaitTime>
     <SQLConnectRetry>5</SQLConnectRetry>
     <Command>echo 'WOLsqlServerCommand not set'</Command>
   </WakeOnLAN>
   <UPnP>
     <UDN>
<MediaRenderer>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</MediaRenderer>
     </UDN>
   </UPnP>
</Configuration>

The 'MediaRenderer' number is different on both. However, LocalHostName
is the same in both. It just says "my-unique-identifier-goes-here".

I've never changed this before. Do I have to manually put something
unique in here?

If so, do I then need to reconfigure something on the backend?

Thanks for helping HP-mini,
Damian