[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 3 Mythfrontend

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 16:25:55 UTC 2016

On 17/04/16 16:48, Curtis Gedak wrote:
> On 16-04-17 06:12 AM, Brian Knapp wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I mainly followed Curtis' guide for setting up mythfrontend on a Raspberry Pi.
>> I started with flashing the SD card with Raspbian build: 2016-04-03.
>> I setup the wifi on the Raspberry Pi 3 instead of using a wired
> connection.
>> <snip>
> Thank you Brian for sharing your experiences.
>
> If you are using WiFi on the RPi3, then video jerkiness and audio
> stuttering can occur with the default WiFi power management settings.
> To avoid this issue others have disabled this feature.  See Mike
> Bibbings post on this:
>
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2016-March/385813.html
>
> Also if you've installed/uninstalled and configured/unconfigured lots of
> stuff on your RPi3, then you might consider starting from scratch with a
> fresh Raspbian Jessie install.  That way you'll be starting from a known
> state.
>
> Please note that the video playback profile is stored on the Mythbackend
> so it can be helpful to double-check that is has the settings you expect.
>
> Regards,
> Curtis
If you are using the latest firmware for Rpi3 my changes are no longer
required (but will not cause any problems) as the firmware has been
updated to permanently disable wifi power management.

If you run "dmesg |grep -i power" and get "brcmfmac: power management
disabled" in the output you are good to go.

To update the firmware just run "sudo rpi-update" then reboot. Note that
this may bump the Rpi3 kernel to 4.4.y series or later. I have no
problems with this kernel series on Raspbian Jessie, Ubuntu Mate 15.10
or 16.04 (beta)

Mike