[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 3 Mythfrontend

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 13:59:34 UTC 2016

On 04/17/2016 08:12 AM, Brian Knapp wrote:
>  I found that I had to install mysql server and setup a mythtv mysql user on the raspberry pi or it would asked for my locale settings every time that I ran mythfrontend.
This is not necessary. If it keeps asking for your locale settings it
means it cannot contact the database, but that must have been for a
different reason. Having a mysql server running on the pi is not
desirable, it may consume extra resources. You can install mysql-client
to check sql connections if needed. The install of mythtv-light from my
packages should install everything you need.

> 2. XCB using the OpenMAX Normal profile playback was very good, but video was shifted up and left.  Overscan settings within mythfrontend do not seem to help.  I have not done any troubleshooting with overscan in /boot/config.txt, though.
Let me know if this happens with the mythtv-light package. If you have
overscan issues I recommend using the Setup, Appearance page, adjusting
the offsets and sizes until it is correct.
> 3. A script to autostart XCB mode fails because of X permission issues.
If you use the mythtv-light package you can start it from a command line
using the command
xinit mythfrontend

6. I have not installed a remote.  I have remotes in storage, just no IR receiver.

I use the Ortek MCE remote. It emulates a keyboard so you don't need LIRC.

 I am debating whether to do the homebrew IR receiver I have seen online or try to get a bluetooth solution (or I just downloaded an Android mythfrontend remote app that I haven't tried yet).

The Android app "mythmote" works well. You have to enable it in the frontend on mythtv

7. I installed the MPEG-2 license, but I don't know how necessary it was.  I initially thought it was responsible for my audio issues in item (1), but that was not the case.

You should install it. It is possible to play mpeg2 without it, but the
OSD is jerky without the license.
> 8.  It is important to ensure that GPU memory is set to 256.
I have found setting it to 128 is fine

9.  I've noticed that at least the last couple times that I have exited mythfrontend in EGLFS mode, it does not exit cleanly.  I have not seen Curtis' issue yet where mythfrontend remained on the screen.  In my case it goes back to the shell and says something like waiting for threads to close (or maybe something totally different, but it never seems to finish so I have to ctrl+c to get back to the prompt.
10. I let the frontend go idle once.  It seemed to disconnect from the backend and allow it to shutdown automatically, and the backend was back online when I brought the frontend out of standby, but it decided to reboot the raspberry pi.  I'm not sure if there is just a default setting on the frontend that I need to review.

Let me know if any of these issues happen with the mythtv-light package.
Also uninstall that mysql server, it may be soaking up memory.

Peter