[mythtv-users] Unable to connect to the master backend at 192.168.1.100:6543 (16.04 & 0.28)

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 00:50:07 UTC 2016

On 04/16/2016 12:58 PM, Fred Hamilton wrote:
> I've never understood when I should use 'localhost' and when I should use
> the external IP address in mythtv.  Right now,
> MythTV frontend hostname = localhost
> MythTV local backend = 192.168.1.100
> MythTV master backend = 192.168.1.100
> .mythtv/config.xml database host = localhost
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mythweb.conf: setenv db_server "localhost"
>
> Is anything obviously wrong there?

As long as the above is all on a combined frontend/backend host,
which I believe you mentioned in a later post, looks good. Also
looks like mine, except that the IP addresses are different.

Be sure to check all copies of config.xml, e.g.:

     grep "<Host>" {~mythtv,~}/.mythtv/config.xml

Having localhost in the config.xml causes a socket connection
rather than using a TCP connection, which is good.

What do these (run on the backend) return:

     nmap -p6543 --reason -6 ::1
     nmap -p6543 --reason 127.0.0.1
     nmap -p6543 --reason 192.168.1.100

You want to see this: