[mythtv-users] Unable to connect to the master backend at 192.168.1.100:6543 (16.04 & 0.28)

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Sat Apr 16 17:58:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> The address for localhost is 127.0.0.1, not your PC's external address
> (192.168.1.100).  If this is a completely new install, then you may
> need to set up mysql so that it is accessible on the external address
> and possibly also MythTV, although that option should still be in the
> database since it is an upgrade, not new.

I've never understood when I should use 'localhost' and when I should use
the external IP address in mythtv.  Right now,
MythTV frontend hostname = localhost
MythTV local backend = 192.168.1.100
MythTV master backend = 192.168.1.100
.mythtv/config.xml database host = localhost
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mythweb.conf: setenv db_server "localhost"

Is anything obviously wrong there?

Per your advice I've been trying to to set up mysql so that it is
accessible on the external address.  No luck so far, but I did notice that
while 'wget 192.168.1.100:6543' fails to connect,  'wget 192.168.1.100:3306'
does connect.  Does that help narrow down where the problem might be?

Your wget shows localhost being resolved to two addresses, which
> suggests that you have a modified /etc/hosts file where localhost has
> been set to two addresses, which is not usually a good idea.

You got me -  I was trying something in /etc/hosts.  I've changed it back
to the default: