[mythtv-users] Gentoo 0.28 ebuild

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 15:49:43 UTC 2016

On 04/16/2016 07:21 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:53 PM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anybody looking into 0.28 ebuilds for gentoo?
> I currently have the ebuild set to not build the logserver at all,
> which is the upstream default.  If for whatever reason we want to
> enable it I'll need to add --disable-logserver (or whatever the exact
> syntax is) to the systemd unit - the option name changed regardless.
> Passing it without logserver support built-in is an error, and I'm not
> sure what the default of this flag is (if it defaults to disabled even
> if built then the systemd unit can stay as it is).

Hi,

I'm thinking this may be a question related to logrotate, but:

--disable-mythlogserver is the command-line (run-time) option. But it
doesn't even appear if ./configure was run with the default options. If
./configure --enable-mythlogserver ... was used, then --disable-mythlogserver
will appear in mythAnyProgram --help. [No sense offering an option to
disable mythlogserver if MythTV wasn't built with it in the 1st place.]

> I'm not sure how they intend logging to work without systemd.  It
> seems like upstream is moving in the direction of only supporting
> logging to console.  We could enable the logserver and have it output
> to a file or syslog as before at least for the moment.

I'd suggest logging remains flexible. Existing logging, e.g. --syslog ... and --logpath ...
works as before. Depending on how /etc/systemd/journald.conf (at least for
*buntu) has ForwardToSyslog set, you can use --syslog and get logging
sent to both the journal and /var/log/syslog. I prefer to set ForwardToSyslog=no
and only getting journal logging, but that's up to individuals.
--logpath still sends to the chosen directory. Neither require mythlogserver
to be run. Actually, my production box runs with --logpath, but thats'
just another personal choice.

Setting journal.conf options are, of course, system wide options.

As to the console issue, I suggest starting the backend with the --quiet
option. Some choose to redirect the console output to /dev/null in the
.service file, but it seems better to simply not send it in the 1st place.

Some lines from a .service file:

[Service]
User=mythtv
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mythbackend --quiet --syslog local7

Bill