[mythtv-users] Fast delete watched recordings

Anthony Giggins seven at seven.dorksville.net
Fri Apr 15 03:27:50 UTC 2016

On 15 April 2016 at 12:55, Gerald Brandt <gbr at majentis.com> wrote:

> On 2016-04-14 09:49 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> So MythTV will fill up hard drives with unnecessary and unwanted data.
>>>

>> Unused storage, like unused RAM, is wasted.  Deleting something that you
>> could, eventually, decide you want to watch again just because you watched
>> it once is just plain rude--and wrong--and wasteful if the storage space
>> isn't being used to store anything else.  After all, what if I watched a
>> show without my wife and MythTV just deleted it afterwards and she missed
>> it?
>>
>> Anyway around this?
>>>

>> Delete what you want deleted.  Once you delete a show, it will be removed
>> from the disk after the time period you told MythTV to leave them:
>>
>> Time to retain deleted recordings (days)
>> Determines the maximum number of days before undeleting a recording will
>> become impossible. A value of zero means the recording will be permanently
>> deleted between 5 and 20 minutes later. A value of minus one means
>> recordings will be retained until space is required. A recording will
>> always be removed before this time if the space is needed for a new
>> recording.
>>
>> in the frontend settings editor under General settings.
>>
>> That said, I'm pretty sure this is what you attempted to ask the first
>> time around, but since you said, "filling up with undeleted watched
>> recordings," people assumed you meant that the recordings were marked as
>> watched, but you had never deleted them.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> I'd rather have watched recordings auto delete after a period of time (not
> based on disk usage), much like manually deleted recordings.  Filling my
> hard drive with junk is a waste.
>
> Gerald

There are auto expire settings for that also, I'd assume you would like to
set your settings to
Watched before unwatched = enabled
Time to retain deleted recordings (days) = 0

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Frontend#General_.28Auto-Expire.29

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Storage_Directories#Storage_Usage

you may also need to check you dont have the "Delete Files Slowly" settings
enabled

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_General#Miscellaneous_Settings

Cheers,

Anthony