[mythtv-users] Fast delete watched recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 15 02:49:27 UTC 2016

On 04/14/2016 10:40 PM, Gerald Brandt wrote:

> On 2016-04-14 08:55 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>>
>> Gerald Brandt wrote:
>>
>>> I added a new storage group for my recordings (0.27 fixes), and it
>>> all works fine. However, it is slowly filling up with undeleted
>>> watched recordings. Is there a setting for deleting watched
>>> recordings faster?
>>
>> They should start expiring/deleting when the amount of space left
>> reaches your minimum free space setting.
>>

> So MythTV will fill up hard drives with unnecessary and unwanted data.

Unused storage, like unused RAM, is wasted.  Deleting something that you
could, eventually, decide you want to watch again just because you
watched it once is just plain rude--and wrong--and wasteful if the
storage space isn't being used to store anything else.  After all, what
if I watched a show without my wife and MythTV just deleted it
afterwards and she missed it?

> Anyway around this?

Delete what you want deleted.  Once you delete a show, it will be
removed from the disk after the time period you told MythTV to leave them:

Time to retain deleted recordings (days)
Determines the maximum number of days before undeleting a recording will
become impossible. A value of zero means the recording will be
permanently deleted between 5 and 20 minutes later. A value of minus one
means recordings will be retained until space is required. A recording
will always be removed before this time if the space is needed for a new
recording.

in the frontend settings editor under General settings.

That said, I'm pretty sure this is what you attempted to ask the first
time around, but since you said, "filling up with undeleted watched
recordings," people assumed you meant that the recordings were marked as
watched, but you had never deleted them.

Mike