[mythtv-users] Xenial mysql 5.7 update

jksjdevelop jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 08:07:45 UTC 2016

On 09/04/16 21:08, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 04/09/2016 01:04 PM, jksjdevelop wrote:
>> I have been running 0.28 on Xenial for a couple of weeks without any
>> probs. However Xenial updated mysql to 5.7 yesterday which has created
>> a few issues.
> Looking at the xenial packages shows that mysql-server-5.6 and
> mysql-client-5.6 are still available. You should be able to downgrade by
> removing mysql-server and installing mysql-server-5.6, and the same with
> the client. Unfortunately if you installed from the ppa packages that
> may also uninstall mythtv.
> Peter
Downgrading does not work  even with a purge of mysql-server-5.7
presumably you have to delete all the data files.
Reconfigure does not prompt for a root password
     sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.7

Still trying to set a root password, does anybody know why this does not
work.
http://tutorialforlinux.com/2016/03/07/how-to-reset-the-mysql-5-7-6-root-password-without-mysqld_safe-in-fedora-centos-red-hat-oracle-suse-opensuse-linux-easy-guide/

sudo systemctl set-environment MYSQLD_OPTS="--skip-grant-tables"
systemctl restart mysql
mysql -uroot
ERROR 1698 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'