[mythtv-users] ECS Liva BAT-MINI v1.0 Still OK as a FE?

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sun Apr 10 05:36:10 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 3:10 AM, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> My FE  (circa 2004 Pentium M with Intel graphics) is ready for replacing
> and I have seen good things about the ECS Liva line and they seem quite
> cheap...unless you live in Australia.
>
> Luckily, I am in the US this next week and thought about picking a couple
> up.  Through unfortunate timing, the Liva X on newegg seems to have
> increased considerably in price in the last week.
>
> I have found some of the original BAT-MINI ones at $70 delivered (to the
> US) though on eBay.  Are these still recommended by those that have them?
>
> Regards,
> Whytey
>
> I have one of the original ECS Liva (BAT-MINI) boxes and it works great as
a myth frontend. In fact, based on some of the hassle I later heard from
other users about the Liva X, I'd say it's probably better-supported in
Linux. I have mine in a back bedroom on GigE and use the WiFi as an AP to
extend my WiFi network in that area. It's been pretty maintenance-free,
once I got the firmware, etc. for the wireless card sorted out. There's
some driver bug in newer kernels (>3.18.7) which causes the WiFi in AP mode
to stop responding after several hours, though. I started to bisect it but
ran into a long string of commits where a kernel panic on boot was present
and ran out of time and willpower to bisect *that* crash and create a
reverse patch so I could continue my bisecting. In short, if you can grab
one, do it.

Karl