[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu repository problem

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Apr 5 21:37:01 UTC 2016

On 05/04/16 21:28, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM Damian <myth at surr.co.uk
> <mailto:myth at surr.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/04/2016 18:38, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>      > On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:38:35 +0100, you wrote:
>      >
>      >>
>      >> On 05/04/2016 12:42, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>      >>> On Tue, 5 Apr 2016 11:40:45 +0100, you wrote:
>      >>>
>      >>>> On 04/04/2016 00:10, Damian wrote:
>      >>>>> Hi all,
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> Both of my Mythbuntu boxes are having trouble with the Mythbutu
>      >>>>> updates repository. Here's what Synaptic Package Manager
>     outputs ...
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> Failed to fetch
>      >>>>>
>     http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/testing/ubuntu/dists/wily/main/binary-amd64/Packages
>      >>>>> 404  Not Found
>      >>>>> Failed to fetch
>      >>>>>
>     http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/testing/ubuntu/dists/wily/main/binary-i386/Packages
>      >>>>> 404  Not Found
>      >>>>> Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored,
>     or old
>      >>>>> ones used instead.
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> One of my frontend's seems to have had this going on for a
>     while now.
>      >>>>> I've only just checked the backend, and the problem is the same.
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> Is there a problem with the repository?
>      >>>>>
>      >>>>> Thanks,
>      >>>>> Damian
>      >>>> Anyone got any idea what's going on with this?
>      >>>>
>      >>>> Mythbuntu used to get updates almost weekly. Now the fixes
>     repository
>      >>>> doesn't even seem to be set up for the latest version of
>     Xbuntu. Is it
>      >>>> still being maintained?
>      >>>>
>      >>>> Thanks,
>      >>>> Damian
>      >>> You are using a testing repository - I am not sure why that is,
>     but I
>      >>> think you should be using the main repositories.  Try going to the
>      >>> main page and seeing where your version really is now:
>      >>>
>      >>> https://launchpad.net/~mythbuntu
>      >>>
>      >>> It looks like 0.28 is just about to be formally released, as
>     there are
>      >>> now 0.29 repositories.
>      >> Hi Stephen,
>      >>
>      >> Thanks for responding.
>      >>
>      >> The repositories are from the 'Mythbuntu Control Centre'. The
>     one that
>      >> doesn't seem to be working is the "Activate Mythbuntu Updates
>     repository".
> [...]

I'm puzzled here too.  During the last week I've been working on an old
family box with a new 3TB drive, which now multiboots MS Vista, kubuntu
14.04.4 and (partially) kubuntu 16.04 beta.  I also have a kubuntu 14.04
laptop with today's build of 0.28-fixes, but the 14.04.4 box tells me
that I have held broken packages and the same build won't install.  One
possibility seems to be uninstalling a bunch of 'wily' packages:  the
new install has kernel 4.2, the laptop has 3.13

I'm really just trying to find out what will work at present, and
there's no critical pressure.  I only see the 'broken packages' thing
when trying to install myth.

John P