[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:24:09 UTC 2015

On Sep 30, 2015 1:27 PM, "Kirk Bocek" <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/2015 5:23 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:52 PM, Mike Chinander <chinander at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> It only streams (no recording) but their HDHomeRun VIEW App for Android
>>> allows you to play protected, copy-once channels such as HBO. How much
more
>>> difficult would it be them to add recording?
>>
>> That is in the plan.  While they have not documented how
>> they are doing it, I believe that they are (essentially)
>> transporting and storing encrypted bits from the Prime,
>> and send them (still encrypted of course) to the clients.
>> That is why the recorder can be (almost) anything.  It
>> never has access to unencrypted content.  I have to
>> imagine that the private key source for the crypto is in
>> the protected key storage on the Prime itself, but again,
>> all conjecture.  Again, only clients that support protected
>> path will be enabled to decode/playback the protected
>> content (when they make that client available).
>>
>  Well that's the "problem" isn't it Gary? Can a protected path be created
in a general Linux environment (as opposed to a closed-source Linux
environment)? Could such a solution ever be added to Myth? A closed-source,
binary-only module that would plug into the front end and allow playback of
encrypted content streamed from an HDHR Prime to local storage.

I thought the OP was trying to record/playback OTA, after having gone off
cable?