[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Wed Sep 30 17:25:00 UTC 2015

On 9/29/2015 5:23 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:52 PM, Mike Chinander <chinander at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It only streams (no recording) but their HDHomeRun VIEW App for Android
>> allows you to play protected, copy-once channels such as HBO. How much more
>> difficult would it be them to add recording?
> That is in the plan.  While they have not documented how
> they are doing it, I believe that they are (essentially)
> transporting and storing encrypted bits from the Prime,
> and send them (still encrypted of course) to the clients.
> That is why the recorder can be (almost) anything.  It
> never has access to unencrypted content.  I have to
> imagine that the private key source for the crypto is in
> the protected key storage on the Prime itself, but again,
> all conjecture.  Again, only clients that support protected
> path will be enabled to decode/playback the protected
> content (when they make that client available).

  Well that's the "problem" isn't it Gary? Can a protected path be
created in a general Linux environment (as opposed to a closed-source
Linux environment)? Could such a solution ever be added to Myth? A
closed-source, binary-only module that would plug into the front end and
allow playback of encrypted content streamed from an HDHR Prime to local
storage.