[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 30 00:08:00 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 4:04 PM, John Moore (Insight Global)
<v-johmo at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Currently I have a P4 3.2G proc machine with 8Gb of ram running a MythTV server in standalone.  And this computer has six 1TB drives in a RAID 10 array.  And it appears to me that the whole Idea of watching 2 recorded programs, recording 2 channels, and having 1 live TV stream is a lot of load.

That doesn't sound like a lot to me.  Have you measured it?  (e.g.
with top, atop, iotop, etc.)

I think you're fundamentally basing your decisions on bad information.
5 video streams spread over six drives in a raid array should be a
piece of cake.  Digital TV recording and sending compressed video to
client systems requires very little processing power.  It's only if
you get into HTTP live streaming that you might run into CPU
limitations, but if you aren't doing that, your system should handle
that just fine.

Eric