[mythtv-users] suspend with nvidia driver

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:50:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Michael Wisniewski <mikewiz38 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do you have it running through a receiver?  You might need an edid.bin
> file in xorg in order to get things working.  Check this out here...
>

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Nvidia-cards_and_no_picture_when_box_is_on_before_the_TV

Just wanted to respond to this for future searches..  I wasted way too much
time getting my old Atom/Ion box working with Mythbuntu 14.04 before
finding this message.   Hopefully this can shorten the process for others.

If I powered off my soundbar (HDMI Switch), when I powered back on my Ion
would go to "NULL" display and never recover.  I had to reboot or restart X
to get anything to display.   I tried disabling EDID detection, specifying
a single 1080p modeline, and several other fixes Google turned up and all
failed.   Capturing the EDID data and hardcoding that in the Xorg conf
finally worked.   Note that I had used this same hardware with earlier
versions of Mythbuntu with no problems.  Either 14.04, or more likely,
newer Nvidia drivers (I tried 331 and 340) caused this.

The message in Xorg.log was:  '(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "NULL"'

For me, the changes needed were:

1. Capture the display's edid.bin data using nvidia-settings and save it in
/etc/X11
2. Modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf, adding the following lines in the Device
section:
    Option         "CustomEDID"     "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-1"

I really wish I could buy some pre-built multi-purpose box, like a Roku,
Nvidia Shield TV, Apple TV, etc. which had a good Myth Frontend app that
worked with U.S. MPEG2.  I would gladly pay the extra cash to avoid
debugging X server issues, driver updates, lirc config, etc.