[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Power Adapters

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 10:58:58 UTC 2015

On 25/09/15 03:58, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> I need to order a new power supply for mine... anyone know of a source
> for a good quality replacement?  I tried one off ebay and it lasted for
> 2 months.

I haven't got any HD-PVRs, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to
share my approach to power supplies in my equipment closets.

I've decided to move away from the poor-quality wallwarts that come with
many of the boxes that I use (such as switches, STBs, tuners, DSL modem,
broadband router etc) and instead to supply them all from a good-quality
beefy single power supply.

The kind of power supply I'm using is normally used for applications
such as CCTV. Most of my machinery needs 12VDC so I've selected the
power supply based on that. One or two pieces of kit need lower voltages
and I'm catering for those using battery eliminators.

I've made sure to use good-quality wiring and I've also included a fuse
in every individual supply cord I've soldered to the PS's output (using
an automotive fusebox with blade fuses).

The result is more headroom in the power supply that is shared across
all devices, better airflow (because the power supply sits inside a
perforated cage rather than being a bunch of potted wallwarts) and, I
believe, marginally better efficiency as measured by my UPS (I don't
have a wattmeter with which to make a more accurate assessment).

HTH, Jan