[mythtv-users] OT: default routes

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:50:14 UTC 2015

Hoi Jan,

> On 23/09/15 15:26, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Oh, and as I said it's not the traffic, but the build-up and
>> maintenance of the tunnel. If there is a tunnel in existence and I
>> change the default route from the pppoe connection ending on the
>> router to the other new one ending on it's own modem/router and
>> connected through a dedicated nic, the connection is broken!

> Hika,

> This is due to the fact that your tunnel terminates on the gateway
> machine. For this reason, the near end of the VPN tunnel uses the public
> IP address of the egress interface used. So in the above example the
> tunnel terminates on the PPPoE interface's IP address.

So if I move the vpn server from the router to the main server...?
Will be some hassle to set up, but will probably be simpler then the
alternative. I however then still will have to setup some policy
routing.

> When you change the default route while the VPN tunnel is already
> established packets towards the remote VPN client or server are suddenly
> sent using another source IP address, and the remote end can no longer
> decrypt them (because the source IP is typically part of the hash), so
> they are dropped.

I guessed as much. But also a new connection from outside won't build
up!

> So the only solution I can think of is to terminate your VPN connections
> before changing the default route, then re-establish them afterwards. If
> you cannot establish your VPN connection via one of the ISPs then you
> have another problem. Perhaps that ISP uses NAT within its network and
> does not maintain port numbers.

> If you also want to be able to accept VPN connections on this machine,
> rather than only establish outbound connections, then you will also need
> to use dynamic DNS and tell the DDNS server which IP address to use
> (i.e. the public IP address of the interface in question). Also make
> sure that your VPN server is listening for incoming connections on the
> right interface(s) and IP address(es).

I only have incoming, that's why I have the fixed adres. I didn't want
to go through the dynamic DNS path although I might when I finally
come to establishing my own domainname etc. Also now that I have the
two connections, it's a nice split. One for the vpn and one for the
rest.