[mythtv-users] problem trying to make a People Search rule

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Sep 22 15:50:12 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:07:40 AM Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/19/2015 07:08 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > Yes. I just changed it to %Gulager% and it schedules now.
> >
> > Question is, why not as a bare word?
>
> Because names of people are a lot less descriptive than titles of movies
> (if for no other reason than the fact that there are a /lot/ of people),
> so it's up to the user to say exactly how he wants the match performed.
>
> FWIW, you should always do a test schedule before creating a custom
> rule, since a broken custom rule can completely break MythTV scheduling

Makes perfect sense now. I've only used a People Search once and assumed it was like all the others and did an implicit %foo%. And this treatment isn't documented anywhere I've ever seen nor can find now. Mine is an edge case though, searching for a surname.

For me scheduling is pretty much a 2-browser-tab operation: one for defining a rule and another for Upcoming Recordings. Sometimes a third for Listings or a Search. It would be nice if MythWeb or its successor had a test schedule option like the frontend but since a browser can do multiple views anyway it would just be UI sugar.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca