[mythtv-users] DVB delivery systems

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Sep 22 13:27:19 UTC 2015

>> [   12.267085] tda18271 6-0060: creating new instance
>> [   12.271685] TDA18271HD/C2 detected @ 6-0060
>> [   12.526085] tda18271 6-0060: attaching existing instance
>> [   12.526096] DVB: registering new adapter (em28xx #0)
>> [   12.526106] DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 0 (Sony CXD2820R
>> (DVB-T/T2))...
>> [   12.526313] DVB: registering adapter 2 frontend 1 (Sony CXD2820R
>> (DVB-C))...
>> [   12.533764] em28xx #0: Successfully loaded em28xx-dvb
>> [   12.533775] Em28xx: Initialized (Em28xx dvb Extension) extension
>>

> This is good, and makes your life easier, however i thought i'd check
> out my new PCTV 292e and it only presents a single frontend.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Yeah, so on the 290e the kernel originally had it rigged up as two
separate frontends due to the inability to switch the delivery system
at runtime in the kernel API.  This functionality was later added to
the kernel, and the various drivers were updated to only present a
single frontend with the ability to toggle the delivery system at
runtime.

In short, the inconsistencies you are seeing across different people's
dmesg output is a result of the kernel version they are running.
Newer kernels will show a single frontend, older kernels will show two
frontends.

The reason there is now a single frontend is actually pretty sensible
- it ensures that applications cannot attempt to use both frontend
device nodes at the same time thinking they are separate tuners -
which would lead to all sorts of crazy results (since both frontends
were driving the same demodulator and tuner).  Having a single
frontend with the ability to toggle its mode of operation allows us to
do device locking properly and makes it more obvious to the
application that there is only a single device.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com