[mythtv-users] UltraHD

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 21:35:52 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> ... You may not feel a
> compelling reason to upgrade, but if you do need a new panel, it would
> be insane not to at least consider one at 4K.  I wouldn't buy anything
> less today.

Well, it depends.  I agree for "programming"/"desktop" usage
(i.e. "up-close") 4K can be a wonderful upgrade.  But unless
you are going to also upgrade a lot of eyeballs (or you are
Ted Williams) at the 10 to 15 foot distance of most (non-80")
TVs, one cannot discern the difference (there is a reason
showrooms have you walk up to the screen to see how
much better 4K is, and at one foot, it really can shine).

And for "programming"/"desktop" monitors, the 4K monitor
I want with the required GPU (PLS/IPS, 60+Hz refresh,
capable of driving the entire display via one connection
rather than two (i.e. HDMI 2.0 or DP 1.3)) is not yet
affordable (for me), especially since I really want (at
least) two monitors.

Others may have different compromises (or larger slush
funds), so yes, consider a 4K monitor, but be sure you are
going to get what you think you are going to get and can
tolerate.