[mythtv-users] MythTV with HDHR Prime and Direct TV

Sean Hanna sean.hanna.2733 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:27:14 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:11 PM, John Moore (Insight Global) <
v-johmo at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have not gotten a receiver yet.  I suspect it’s the Standard Receiver, I
> am willing to pay the additional for a upgrade.  That’s why I am here
> trying to sort out what others are using so I know what to buy so I can
> avoid getting something that won’t work.
>

> Here is 1 receiver
>
> http://www.directv.com/technology/standard_receiver
>

> Here is the other receiver
>
> http://www.directv.com/technology/hd_receiver
>

> Both receivers are non DVR.
>

> It appears that linux drivers are not the only blocker with new HD-PVR’s,
> but any other connection other than HDMI.  The receiver is using a 3 cable
> Y/R/W (whatever it is called) and the HD-PVR (which I am finding on NewEgg)
> is using a 5 cable R/G/B & R/W) (whatever it is called).   I really have no
> interest in recording protected content, but I cannot even get an idea of
> how much TV is protected.  If all of it, the HDMI is useless.  Yet it’s the
> only standard.  Which means I am really blocked.
>

> Here is a example of the HD-PVR I am looking at ($150)
>

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116086&cm_re=pvr-_-15-116-086-_-Product
>

> Ok, so it looks like I found a HD-PVR which has Y/R/W INPUTS up front
> ($350)
>

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ35J1173&cm_re=pvr-_-15-116-030-_-Product
>

> John Moore

Here is an option for you:
http://www.hdfury.com/shop/videoprocessors/hd-fury-ii/

Based off the fact you're getting a new IRD without component out you'll
need to convert the HDMI in order to connect to the HD-PVR.  If I was in
your shoes, as I once was, I would have went to E-Bay, or even SolidSignal
and purchased the IRDs I wanted instead of getting what DirecTV will offer
now.  My older IRDs (still have HDMI out along with Component) still do
1080 and have the ability to work with my HD-PVR's.  We went away from
DirecTV last month due to the fact we were really only watching a few
channels (besides locals) and we could get those channels via a Roku and a
sub to SlingTV, Netflix, and HBO Now.  Saved us well over $100 per month,
but this is getting off topic.

If you have any questions about my old setup let me know, I'll do my best
to answer.