[mythtv-users] MythTV with HDHR Prime and Direct TV

Jim lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com
Fri Sep 18 12:20:37 UTC 2015

On 9/17/2015 5:34 PM, John Moore (Insight Global) wrote:
> Jim
> Ok, so with my vision I am not all that concern with the NEED for HD quality, SD quality will be fine.  And my TV size is less than 30 inches.  So again not all that concern with HD.  Tech its just a large Computer Flat Screen connected via HDMI to a android device called SkyStreamX running Kodi connected to MythTV.
HD is worth it no matter how good/bad your vision is IMO.

> So I have been able to google VIP211.  And I am ok with getting my video/audio signal from the R/Y/W cables (don’t know what you call them).  Am I to understand that the VIP211's are dedicated for video recording?   Does MythTV change the channel on them?
It is just a satellite box from Dish. No DVR. I can't tell if you have
DirectTV or Dish (two different companies) but you need to ask them for
a satellite box with component out. Then they connect to the HDPVR with
component cables (R/Y/W) that provides video/audio. Mythtv can control
the channel on the satellite box via a channel change script and an IR
blaster. And it controls the HD-PVR via a USB connection as a tuner to
starts/stop recordings. It sounds like a bit of a Rube Goldberg setup
but it has been amazingly reliable for me. Others have not been as lucky
and need to reset/restart their HD-PVR routinely.

> Which version of HD-PVR do you use?  I see there is quite a few different versions found on NewEGG ranging in price from the fair $150s to around $300ish.
The first generation. I'm not sure you can buy them anymore new. You'll
need to research that, probably find used on ebay.

> I am also guessing that in your solution Live TV is not an option.  This is just for recording TV from Satellite to MythTV.  So watching Live TV on my tablet with Kodi thru MythTV like I did with Comcast and HD HomeRun is not possible.
Live TV works but I never use it. Also have not ever used Kodi nor
watched TV on a tablet. I like bigger screens.
:-)
In addition to my 2 HD-PVRs I also have 2 HD Homerun (not Prime) tuners
that connect to a rooftop antenna for local stations.

--
Jim