[mythtv-users] sequential recordings on the same channel (like sports)

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 19:24:35 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 1:10 PM Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> I remember reading threads way back about Myth being able to ignore  >0
> "End Late" settings for programs on the same channel. But, reading back
> through it still seems only possible for DVB setups.
>
> Is it a difficult scheduler algorithm to make 2 sequential recordings on
> the same channel with >0 End Late settings ignore the 1st recording's End
> Late if it runs into another recording on the same channel? In my naivete I
> don't see why Myth would assign another tuner to record the next recording
> and not just drop the overage time on a known overlap and continue making a
> new recording. And do so for as long as there will be recordings on that
> channel.

It does depend on how the 'recorder' was programmed in Myth.  Most
recorders are capable of 'multirec', but the v4l2 (mpeg) recorders are
not.  I am actually working on re-writing the v4l2 recorder to be multi-rec
compatible to allow over-lapping recordings.  However, I have been working
on it a long time, and just have not gotten around to finishing it.
Hopefully soon...

I believe David has multi-rec working with the cable-card recorders, but I
am not positive about that.

> This must be a pretty common recording scenario for sports.
>
> All the padding settings I've seen are global and aimed at problematic
> content providers.
>
> I'm going to give "Recording NFL Sunday Morning and Afternoon with Extra
> Time" from https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Custom_Recording a shot and try to
> do likewise for CFL games. How do others handle this? I've been doing it
> manually on weekends by tweaking End Late on my global search rules to make
> the overlaps go away and then un-tweaking them for the rest of the week.

Last year, David posted a tip on handling back-to-back sports events.
Based on his advice, I have two custom recording rules for NFL:

Rule 1:
Tilte:  "NFL Football [late]"
Rule: "program.category = 'Sports event' AND program.title = 'NFL Football'
AND pnext.title <> 'NFL Football' AND program.chanid = pnext.chanid AND
program.endtime = pnext.starttime AND program.first > 0"
Additional tables: ", program pnext"

Rule 2:
Title: "NFL Football [early]"
Rule: "program.category = 'Sports event' AND program.title = 'NFL Football'
AND pnext.title = 'NFL Football' AND program.chanid = pnext.chanid AND
program.endtime = pnext.starttime AND program.first > 0"
Additional tables: ", program pnext"

With the [late] rule, I have it configured to record an extra hour.  With
the [early] rule, it stops "on time".  I use similar rules for the Olympics
and such.

John