[mythtv-users] Database issue? Recordings not showing up in frontend

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 12 00:51:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 22:40:15 +0100, Paul Stillwell
<bigboi at wackywombats.com> wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I saw the answer about issuing the “UPDATE recorded SET
> subtitle=REPLACE(subtitle, ‘\0’, ‘’);” sql command, but I want to make
> sure it will not >mess things up further. I’m not a db guy, so I want to
> make sure not to do anything else to screw things up. If I do that
> command will it:
>
> a. Potentially fix the problem
> b. Makes things worse and not fix the problem
> c. Do something, but not fix the problem and I’m no worse off than I am
> now

You can check the hypothesis using:

$ mysql -p -u mythtv mythconverg
Enter password:<yout mythtv mysql password>

mysql> SELECT title, subtitle FROM recorded WHERE CONCAT(title, subtitle,
description) LIKE CONCAT("%", CHAR(0x00 using utf8), "%");

That will just report any recording that has null characters in it.

Similarly

mysql> SELECT callsign FROM channel WHERE CONCAT(callsign, name) LIKE
CONCAT("%", CHAR(0x00 using utf8), "%");

will report any corrupted channels.

However, it's puzzling why new recordings show up fine if that really is
the cause.