[mythtv-users] I think my HRHR Prime died...

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:46:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I think we got confused somewhere. The no-load voltage was 5.24V, the
> 5.17V
> > was while connected to the HDHR.
>
> How did you measure the voltage while connected to the HDHR, and what
> was the HDHR doing at the time?  Is your meter fast enough to capture
> the minimum voltage over a time period?

The HDHR wasn't doing anything, but it shouldn't matter, if at whatever
current it's pulling, it's seeing 5.17V, then that should be sufficient for
the Ethernet chip. If under heavy tuner use it dropped down, then I would
not be surprised if the Ethernet dropped out, but that's a different
failure mode.

> I think you're better off using a simple resistor to load the supply
> rather than trying to use the HDHR itself.  V = I R, so you'd want to
> measure the current through a 2 ohm resistor and see if you're getting
> around 2.5 amps.

The average resistor from Radio Shack is only good to 1/4 to 1/2 watt..

Richard