[mythtv-users] I think my HRHR Prime died...

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Sep 3 19:03:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-09-03 at 10:24 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org>
> wrote:
>         On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Richard Shaw
>         <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > It would be nice to have a way to test that, but in the end,
>         does it matter?
>
>         Of course it matters.  If the power supply is unable to supply
>         enough
>         current, the device won't function properly.  It doesn't
>         matter what
>         the voltage is.
>
>         What, exactly, did you mean by "checking the power under
>         load"?  What
>         did you use to provide the load?
>

> I think we got confused somewhere. The no-load voltage was 5.24V, the
> 5.17V was while connected to the HDHR.
>

> Thanks,
> Richard

A simple test using home DMM is to use the VAC measurement to gauge the
ripple under load.
A cheap DMM should have bandwidth to over 2 KHz.
A sick wallwart would likely have higher frequency switching noise & 100
Hz or 120Hz ripple, depends on which parts have failed first.
A cheap SMPS wallwart could be expected to have <200mV ripple 0-10KHz.